Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ooooh! Ten On Tuesday Meme Thingy




This week's meme is: Ten Bands/Artists That Remind You Of High School.

In almost no particular order:

1). Blondie. Specifically Rapture(^). The first rap song many of us ever heard, unless you'd heard of the Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight(^). Which I had. So... yeah. Blondie was very popular when I was in high school. Bonus: Jean-Michel Basquiat(^) makes an appearance in the video for Rapture.
2). The Doors. Jim Morrison had been dead almost 10 years when I started high school, but The Doors were still the party music of choice for a large segment of my high school friends.
3). The Rolling Stones. I saw then at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, Georgia on 26/10/1981. Here's the set list(^). They were at their prime and it was an awesome experience. Here is Satisfaction(^), which was the kast song they played that night
4). Queen. Saw them in concert, The Game Tour(^). It remains the best concert I have ever attended. Here is Play the Game(^).
6). Lynyrd Skynyrd. If you weren't partying to the Doors, you were probably partying to Lynyrd Skynyrd. Free Bird(^) was as close to an anthem as we probably got.
7). Earth Wind & Fire. Reminds me of the guy I rode to school with. He always had this playing on the tape deck. I still love September(^).
8). Steve Forbert. Especially Romeo's Tune(^). It reminds me of a friend, and now it reminds me of my husband. Romeo's Tune is probably my favorite single song.
9). Dave Brubeck. Take Five(^) had been out for at least 20 years when I was in high school, but it still reminds me of a certain person and a special moment in time.
10). Steely Dan. Hey Nineteen(^) is particularly evocative of that time period for me. They remain my favorite musicians.

Stuff I left out: The Ramones, the Beatles, Talking Heads, Frank Sinatra, ELO, Tom Petty, The Kinks (especially Lola(^)), Supertramp, Lou Reed & the Velvet Underground, Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Jimmy Buffett, Dusty Springfield, the Sex Pistols, Elvis Costello, Parliament-Funkadelic, George Clinton, Barry White, the New York Dolls, The Who, Patti Smith, Joe Walsh, Suzi Quatro, Al Stewart, Cat Stevens, Punk music, and all of southern rock.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like the QUEEN